Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2: motivation

Of all the motivational theories we discussed in class, I think I identify most with the Expectancy versus Value Theory.

This theory breaks motivation down into two parts:
     -Expectancy: "Can I do this?"
     -Value: "Why should I do this?"

After learning about this theory I realized that I use it quite often. In my fourth year of college, I've set expectations for myself and how I'd like to perform academically. I hope to do well in all of my classes and maintain or improve my grade point average. Getting As in previous classes influences my expectancy for other classes. For example, for the last 5 semesters I've earned all As and 1 A-. (Without fail that measly A- always sneaks in there.) This has become a standard for me (and sort of a jinx), so I expect to earn the same grades this semester. I think that this expectancy to succeed will boost my motivation to perform well in classes. Even though I'm in more demanding courses this semester, I expect to succeed, so this is even more helpful. 

I think that the value aspect of the theory is equally applicable to me as a student. Like I mentioned in class, junior year I decided to take a landscaping class. Identifying plants really has nothing to do with my major or career, but it is something I am genuinely interested in. I hiked to the Ag campus, never missed a class, studied for hours, and ended up spending more time on it than any of my other courses. By jiminy I knew those plants! (And I still do, Jasminum nudiflorum is blooming right now!) I was motivated by my own interest and desire to learn. That is also true for my education classes that I'm currently taking- Ed Psych, Elementary Ed, Special Ed. Unlike my 8:00 am political science course on international relations.. these topics are relevant to me and my future. 

In class we learned that you are likely to do well if you have expectancy for success and also value the task. The combination of my high expectations along with my value of the material will hopefully help motivate me to succeed!

I will keep this theory in mind when I am working as a teacher. First, I will need to try and set a level of expectation for, but more importantly within, my students. This deals with enhancing their self-efficacy, self-competence, self-determination, and self-worth. For value, I will need to help students find intrinsic motivation in our classroom tasks. This can also be done by improving the self-...s I listed above, but I think it would also help to make the material relevant and interesting to the students. One way I could do this is to provide options instead of one broad topic or assignment. (For reading, allow students to select a book based on their interest and choose a way to present it- poster, paper, journal, etc.) I think that allowing students to make choices and have some control over their learning would help them invest in it and find more meaning. 

When I googled "motivating young children" I found plenty of sites giving tips and advice, but this article was by far my favorite. I chose this article because it reflects many aspects I wrote about of the Expectancy versus Value theory, and it is interesting.It discusses connecting school learning to the real world, avoiding performance pressure, helping children feel competent, and giving children control over their work. 


5 comments:

  1. Great job explaining the two theories and how they work in your life! I really liked your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really creative in the way you write! I was laughing the whole time! Like Rachel said, I enjoyed reading through your two explanations of the theories. It was very well-worded. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really well-written - I think this show a lot of insight into your understanding of the material. I really liked the article - we often overlook "soft skills" that come with motivation, but that article highlighted some we need to consider! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your post and I, like you, utilize the expectancy versus value theory most in my life. I expect to get good grades and to excel in all that I do because that is how I have performed in all of my classes. Therefore, I don't know anything different and make myself more vulnerable to the feeling of failure. This was a really insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep this theory in mind when I am working as a teacher. First, I will need to try and set a level of expectation for, but more importantly within, my students.

    I really like this. I feel that often times teachers, some from my own past, set expectations for their students but do not encourage their students to set expectations for themselves. I have to admit that I am guilty of trying to meet the expectations of others, like my parents or past teachers, but not meet the ones I would set for myself. Sometimes I wish I would have had more teachers, like my art teachers, to help me set expectations for my own goals instead of wanting me to meet their goals. Very nice and important thought to always keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete