Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Barb Rentenbach

After an introduction from her "smiling shrink", Barb Rentenbach began her presentation by typing "dear utk autism is my prism, not my prison." I thought these were such powerful words that really summed up Barb's overall message. After hearing her deep thoughts verbalized by friends on her video and students in the auditorium, it was so hard for me to grasp the idea of being trapped inside your own body.  Her ideas were so thought provoking and profound.  I can't even imagine the frustration of not being able to express herself freely without her technological aids.

Barb's presentation was an eye opening experience.  So often we assume that people who are handicapped are unintelligent.  Barb proved that wrong. After almost 20 years of being considered mentally retarded, Barb was able to reveal her intelligence.

Barb also enlightened me to the world of Autism.  I knew the basic facts from special ed, but hearing a first person account is an entirely different experience.  I love that she speaks out directly to children or 'friends' with autism in her book, giving guidance, encouragement, and support.  She turned Autism on its head- what most people think of as a negative thing, Barb expressed Autism as a special quality, a gift that some people were born with.

With Autism becoming more frequently diagnosed in children, I'm sure I will have students with Autism in my class.  Barb's story made me realize that I need to appreciate the skills and special abilities of these students, not see them as a burden or extra challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment