Friday, April 26, 2013

group differences forum

Tuesday we had our group differences forum.  To be honest, I wasn't really sure what it would be like, or how much I would get out of it. However, once the conversations began I quickly changed my mind.  There are some topics that people just try to avoid- things that get people riled up and defensive.  This class discussion provided an opportunity to talk about these sensitive yet important topics in a conductive, positive way.  I think that a big part of this was that the conversation was focused on teaching instead of just personal experiences and beliefs. I was impressed by how well the discussion flowed.  No questions were left unanswered and people were willing to talk.  I also appreciated the courtesy our classmates showed each other.  People were nodding in agreement, asking questions for clarification, and being respectful if they happened to disagree.  

The fact that we were in school helped this professional, mature behavior, but I think we have also gained a lot of insight from conversations with each other over the semester.  I think that the group differences forum was a great way to wrap up our year because we all interacted and talked about serious aspects of our future career. We all share the common goal that we want to be great teachers, and I think that allowed us to really learn from each other in this conversation, as well as throughout the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment